BRI's Module 7: Structured Literacy: Comprehension
Designed for K-3 educators, this collection of modules addresses the following objectives:
- Foster a deep understanding of each of the five components of reading recognized by the National Reading Panel and how they form a comprehensive and integrated approach to reading instruction.
teachers with practical tools and resources that are aligned to the
science of literacy acquisition and readily accessed and applied in the
- Demonstrate the use of assessments and their results to guide instruction for each of the five components of reading plus the three additional skills (oral language, print awareness, and written expression) that support literacy proficiency.
- Facilitate adult learning through strategies that allow teachers to access information previously learned and to apply new knowledge and resources to strengthen practice.
In Module 7, participants will:
- Explain how the Simple View of Reading affects Comprehension.
- Use each of the seven teaching strategies recommended by the NRP.
- Understand levels of text dependent questioning and understanding.
- Apply the levels of questioning to teacher’s own texts.
- Distinguish between the mechanics of comprehension and the products of comprehension.
- Recognize where these link to the understanding of text and how to teach them.
- Examine the differences of instruction based on the type of text.
- Write formative assessments that assess overall understanding of the text and measure mastery of specific skills.
|Thu, Jun 14, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 PM||Full Day||Marion McBride||Dianne King||William Carey University: Traditions Campus|
|Fri, Jun 15, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 AM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 AM||Full Day||Marion McBride||Dianne King||William Carey University: Traditions Campus|
|Disabilities||If you have a disability that would need an accommodation (wheelchair, visual impairment, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|
|Food Allergies||If you have a food allergy or preference (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|